What is the secret to a long and healthy life? It is in the power foods that we eat. As you well know, all foods are not created equal. Choosing and eating the right power foods may help increase your life expectancy as well as the quality of your life and help to burn fat.
Here are the top ten power foods designed to give you energy, vitality and burn fat!
1. Black Beans - or beans of all kinds (kidney, navy, lentils, chickpeas,) are high in protein. This is a plant protein so it contains very little fat, carbs and calories. If fiber is a problem in your diet, eating a healthy portion of beans each day can help restore balance to your digestive system.
2. Oatmeal - Oatmeal is coming into popularity as a food that lowers blood cholesterol. Oatmeal is a filling grain that also provides much needed fiber to keep hunger at bay and your blood sugar constant.
3. Fruits - Fruits are filled with antioxidants such as Vitamin C and A. Antioxidants fight free radical damage in the body and reduce the risk of cancer. Berries such as blueberries and grapes have the highest amount of antioxidants. But choose an array of fruits in a wide variety of colors for maximum health. The antioxidants in fruit boost the immune system to fight the effects of aging in the body.
4. Allium Foods - This class of foods includes garlic, onions, leeks and shallots. Garlic is known for lowering cholesterol. Allium vegetables help guard the body against the risk of cancer and many other ailments. They also help lower blood pressure and prevent blood clots.
5. Salmon - Eating foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids reduces the risk of heart disease and other conditions like atherosclerosis. Wild salmon is a fatty fish but it contains good fats that have proven to improve health in children and adults. Salmon is rich in protein which is of great use after an exercise session to build muscle tissue.
6. Flax seed - Like salmon it contains omega-3 fatty acids. These seeds also contain omega-6 and omega-9 fatty acids. You get a lot of power to fight high cholesterol, heart disease and diabetes with this seed. Ground flax seed can be added to fruit smoothies, sprinkled in yogurt, eaten with cereal or added to pancake mix to name a few.
7. Grilled Chicken - Make sure it's organic. Chicken is very similar to salmon and contains lots of omega-3 fatty acids and is so easy and versatile to use.
8. Nuts and seeds - Nuts are high in fat but these fats are the good kind. Peanuts, almonds, Brazil nuts, walnuts and pistachios are all providers of good fats and protein.. Nuts help to lower cholesterol. Eat them right out of the shell with no additives.
9. Spinach - This super veggie is so low in calories and goes with everything. You can use it in salads, side dishes and I love it in omelets. Speaking of omelets, eggs are an excellent source of protein and are so good for you.
10. Yogurt - Yogurt contains calcium, Vitamin B, and protein. If you don't drink milk, yogurt is an alternative to get your calcium to build strong bones and teeth. Live yogurt also contains friendly bacteria to help promote a healthy digestive system. Natural yogurt is best without sugar.